AM 2,02 Pc, Win Xp sp3: Cpu load difference between AM and Task Manager.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unguitar
Unguitar's picture

I really don't think this can be an AM issue, but I wanted to check this with you.

I have to admit I am using a pretty complex signal routing but I still find a little sad I am reaching the 90% of Cpu load ( checking Task manager) and AM says 25/28%.
As a test, I loaded one of the files in the test folder: Examples>Applied>Resonant String.
This is bringing my Cpu Load to 65% on Task Manager, while AM is showing 7,5%.

So, on my side, I am afraid my Centrino laptop is fastly becoming obsolete.
On the other side, I am curious to know what do you think about this difference between the two Cpu load reads.

my best,
Luca

Ross B.
Ross B.'s picture

Hi Luca

My first question is: do you have the patch VU level indicators activated? If so that's likely to be using up a fair amount of CPU -- but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In general the AM2 GUI will soak up a fair bit of "spare" CPU load if its not being used for audio processing.

The AudioMulch CPU level indicator shows only Audio Processing CPU usage, Task Manager will show all CPU usage including GUI drawing (which is probably the main other CPU usage in your case).

You should be able to push the audio CPU usage up quite high (>80%) and the GUI will just draw less frequently -- without the audio breaking up. So having a high Task Manager CPU load is not a bad thing unless your audio is also breaking up (which you didn't say) or the GUI is completely unresponsive.

When the task manager CPU is high, but the AM CPU is low does your audio break up?

Bests

Ross.

Unguitar
Unguitar's picture

ciao dear Ross,
yes, the VU level indicators are activated ( 7 of them).

I never get spikes even when Task Manager shows 100% Cpu used by AM and AM Cpu is never above the 30/35%.

I just have some overloads in my Powercore card, but I think it's a matter of stealing some oxygen to the old 1,87 Gb Centrino processor.

Thanks for letting me know about the GUI thing, I can clearly see the sense.

my best,
Luca

Unguitar
Unguitar's picture

Hello,
just a short note to add:
I just realized that the Patcher view is causing the Cpu meter in the task manager to jump very high.
If I keep the Patcher view off and I just use any of the other view options, the cpu goes down, very close to the one shown in AM.

My best,
Luca