old audiomulch file and dr005

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
lct
lct's picture

Hello,

This is a weird problem in terms of trying to resolve, (I think) but I hope you guys can point me in some direction. There is a material on these files I would like to save, but I'm really concerned that it may be lost (but desperately hoping this is not the case)

I have an old Audiomulch file, with a header reading:
\
----------------------------------

Note: This also occurs when I attempt to open with 0.9b20,0.9b21 which are the only
available old versions of audiomulch I have backed up

Note: DR005 is an old version of fxpansions line of vst drum modules.

I currently suspect 2 things:

1. Either the wav file paths defined within the dr005 vst parameters have changed, and its breaking because it doesn't error out cleanly for this scenario

2. Since the Audiomulch version I've attempted with up to this point dosen't match what the file was originally saved with, that there is some am version incompatibility bug thats causing this.

Actually as I was writing this, I realized there was an easy way to test my suspicion #1. So I opened the file with AM 2.0.2, the dr005 fails, afterwhich I simply replace with a blank dr005 vst, load a wav sample into one of the drum banks, and save as new test audiomulch file. Then moved the wav sample from its original path, reopened the audiomulch file and it opened without failing. I couldnt play the wav sample, but I could see the wav filename as is a feature with dr005. So I guess that eliminates my suspicion #1.

I also broke out a hex editor on the original audiomulch file to see if I could make out the dr005 parameters and unfortunately I cannot make out the most critical item, the wav file paths defined for the drum banks. I suspect its within the , but what's within chunk doesn't look like plain text, but some other binary format which I haven't made out yet.

Can anyone point me in a direction towards solution to this?

Gee Wiz I hope so!

lct
lct's picture

Uh for some reason the code tags are not workin on my post thus fudging some portions of my original. Reformatted here:

Hello,

This is a weird problem in terms of trying to resolve, (I think) but I hope you guys can point me in some direction. There is a material on these files I would like to save, but I'm really concerned that it may be lost (but desperately hoping this is not the case)

I have an old Audiomulch file, with a header reading:
audiomulch-document version="0.98" application-path="C:\\Program Files\\AudioMulch 0.9b17"

The error that occurs when opening this file with Audiomulch 2.0.2 is the following:
---------------------------------
VST Plugin Crash Information
File Name: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins_am\Drums\fxpansion!DR005.dll
File Size: 1196032 bytes
File Creation Time: Wednesday, May 10, 2000, 22:12:32 PM
Exception Code: c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Fault Address: 7C90100B 01:0000000b ntdll.dll
Fault Details: Read of address 00000034
Thread Id: 6224 (GUI thread)
VST Function : dispatcher
VST Function Parameters:
opCode: 24 (effSetChunk) index: 0 value: 5064 ptr: 031B3900 opt: 0
Registers:
EAX: 00000020 EBX: 031c1201 ECX: 7ffdf000 EDX: 00000020 ESI: 033e058c EDI: 0012bc04
CS:EIP: 001b:7c90100b SS:ESP: 0023:0012b928 EBP: 0012b93c
DS: 0023 ES: 0023 FS: 003b GS: 0000
Flags: 00210202
Host Information:
AudioMulch Interactive Music Studio version 2.0.2
Build date: 4/8/2009
Web site: http://www.audiomulch.com
Host Developer: Ross Bencina
-----------------------
Note: This also occurs when I attempt to open with 0.9b20,0.9b21 which are the only
available old versions of audiomulch I have backed up

Note: DR005 is an old version of fxpansions line of vst drum modules.

I currently suspect 2 things:

1. Either the wav file paths defined within the dr005 vst parameters have changed, and its breaking because it doesn't error out cleanly for this scenario

2. Since the Audiomulch version I've attempted with up to this point dosen't match what the file was originally saved with, that there is some am version incompatibility bug thats causing this.

Actually as I was writing this, I realized there was an easy way to test my suspicion #1. So I opened the file with AM 2.0.2, the dr005 fails, afterwhich I simply replace with a blank dr005 vst, load a wav sample into one of the drum banks, and save as new test audiomulch file. Then moved the wav sample from its original path, reopened the audiomulch file and it opened without failing. I couldnt play the wav sample, but I could see the wav filename as is a feature with dr005. So I guess that eliminates my suspicion #1.

I also broke out a hex editor on the original audiomulch file to see if I could make out the dr005 parameters and unfortunately I cannot make out the most critical item, the wav file paths defined for the drum banks. I suspect its within the code contraption class="fxpansion_DR005" name="fxpansion_DR005_1" chunk.../chunk, but what's within chunk doesn't look like plain text, but some other binary format which I haven't made out yet.

Can anyone point me in a direction towards solution to this?

Gee Wiz I hope so!

Ross B.
Ross B.'s picture

Hi. Sounds weird. Have you talked to the FXPansion guys about it?

The chunks in the AM document are base-64 encoded, so if you can extract them as text, decode them to raw binary and then edit them you might have some luck.

I'm happy to provide more info if it helps.

Ross.

lct
lct's picture

that info on the base 64 code was what I needed. I decoded it and found the paths which were defined for each drum pad, all of which were referencing drive letters that did not exist on this particular setup. I re-created the drive letters (shares) and shazam! no more error! I had considered for sometime that this data was lost forever, and with your help it is no longer. Ross, my most sincerest thanks!